Effective Minute Writing Skills
Power up on various skills such as listening, note-taking and writing to produce more effective minutes of meetings.
Part 1: Preparing for the Meeting
- The challenges of taking minutes
- The role and responsibilities of the minute-taker
- The changing face of minutes
- Other documents related to meetings e.g. agenda, previous minutes, etc.
- Meeting roles (initiator, chair/facilitator, administrator/minute-taker, etc.)
- Establishing goals and desired outcomes
- Identifying attendees
- Taking care of logistics
Part 2: During the Meeting
- Listening and note-taking skills
- Speaking up (to recap key messages etc.)
Part 3: Post-Meeting
- Writing up minutes – typical formats
- Relevant grammar and vocabulary
- Circulating minutes/ensuring follow-up
- Samples and practice activities
Part 4: Group Dynamics
- Examining patterns of interaction in groups
- Handling challenging participants (e.g. disruptive, argumentative, loud) and challenging situations (e.g. awkward silences)
- Dealing with conflict (e.g. opposing views)
"We found the effective minutes writing course extremely useful. The course has provided a lot of material and skills for us to learn and take away. The trainers are knowledgeable, even helping with issues beyond the scope of this course. The trainer was very interactive, and extremely polite and knowledgeable. I believe that the skills I picked up in this course would be very useful in my daily work. It would definitely save me time when I next take on the role of minute taker for my office functions."
"Khyati Kapai is very knowledgeable citing examples which are appropriate. She is able to keep us glued to the course. Just the right amount of humour too!"
- "The content’s usefulness of the course. It is very applicable."
- "The language used for minutes writing to avoid negative words towards neutral words."
- "The grammar part and the important (essential) points for writing minutes."
- "Hands-on practice."
- "Taking of meeting notes while listening to audio clips."
- "The short video clips were good."
- "Learning about the differences in style, language and note taking."
- "Trainer very clear and precise."
- "The trainer articulated very well and the lesson was very well-placed. She was very approachable and dedicated. Her lessons were very enjoyable."
- "Trainer is motivating and humorous."
- "It is well structured and the trainer is able to stimulate the interest. Great job."
- "Use good illustration, case study."
- "Last part of the course where “actual” meetings were conducted and notes & meeting were noting giving exposure for improvement."
- "The interactive vetting of minutes."
“The course is very informative and helpful and definitely useful. I can apply what I learnt in my work. I am definitely more confident in writing minutes. Thank you.”